Sustainability & Ethics
At Banned Retro, we are committed to delivering extraordinary styles to all vintage-loving ladies in a responsible, respectful, and sustainable manner.
We realise that we still have lots to work on to become 100% sustainable, but we are working hard towards that goal – and we believe we’re on the right path.
Our main commitment is to improve our environmental performance, reduce our carbon footprint and manage our business with transparency and integrity.
Here’s what we’re doing for the animals, the people, and our planet:
We are committed to pursuing methods to lower environmental impact and achieve cleaner energy performance within our manufacturing and supply chains.
We are also devoted to managing waste generated from our business operations and products according to the principles of reduce, re-use, and recycle.
- All our production locations have set out plans for speeding up the development of Clean Energy Industry.
- The 1st zero carbon power station has been operating in cities where our bags and wallets’ manufacturing takes place since September 2021.
- We use renewable energy partially to produce our footwear and garments.
- We are continuously setting and monitoring key objectives and targets for managing our environmental performance.
MINIMIZING WASTE& RECYCLING
- None of our excess or rejected products ends up in landfills, they are part of donations and resale campaigns.
- All our hangtags and packing boxes are recyclable.
- We are using recyclable packaging for our footwear.
- We aim to reduce our packaging and use 100% recyclable ones in the near future.
WORKING FAIRLY & SAFELY
- Employment is freely chosen in our associate factories, warehouses, and offices, and we make sure there is no forced or child labour.
- We champion diversity in our workforce, and no discrimination is allowed in hiring decisions.
- We eliminated harmful chemicals from our goods to protect our workers, consumers’ health, and the environment.
SUPPORTING SOCIAL WELFARE
We are proud supporters of The Africa Trust – AquaAid – which supplies water to communities in need. In 2021, we installed a water pump in located in Manicaland – a province in the north eastern highlands of Zimbabwe.
An Elephant Pump can easily provide up to 10,000 litres of safe drinking water per day, for upwards of 300 people, for decades.
Elephant Pumps are built by an experienced Africa Trust team leader, with the assistance of the local community, using more readily and locally available materials. This allows for the community to easily repair the pump should they need to, which in turn extends the life of the pump exponentially. For more information, please visit https://www.aquaidwatercoolers.co.uk/together-we-save-lives/the-african-trust
We firmly believe it is not acceptable for animals to suffer in the name of fashion.
ELIMINATING ANIMAL CRUELTY
- All our products are vegan friendly, cruelty free, and made with faux fur, cotton, lyocell, and other man-made materials galore.
- We also use fully and partially recycled materials, like PETR materials and partially recycled polyurethane.